We’re hiring! SMWC is looking for a part time organizer for our Health Care is a Human Right campaign. At SMWC we believe that a health care system treated as a public good and based on the human rights principles is a fundamental step toward economic and racial justice in our communities. We’re organizing a grassroots movement in Maine to change the health care discourse and policy. Our health care organizer will help us build a strong SMWC membership and a powerful coalition to make health care a human right in Maine. Please help us spread the word about this position!
To apply send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is June 6, 2016.
We are aiming for a July 18th start date for the position.
This is a part time (20 hours a week) salaried position. This organizer will be primarily responsible for building the statewide presence of the Southern Maine Worker Center (SMWC)’s Health Care is a Human Right Campaign.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This organizer ’s primary responsibility is to increase the engagement and leadership of SMWC members, with support from the member-led SMWC Health Care is a Human Right Leadership Committee (HCHR-LC). The goal of this position is to develop structures for member engagement that will last beyond the duration of the position. This includes networking with statewide partners and contacts, creating new HCHR organizing committees, coordinating outreach and campaign activities, and follow-up/turnout calls to prospective members–with a focus on new organizing outside of greater Portland. The HCHR-LC will work with the organizer to identify work priorities and goals.
- Develop and re-activate as many contacts for the HCHR campaign as possible.
- Develop and support Health Care is a Human Right Organizing Committees in other areas of Southern Maine.
- Coordinate presentations with other groups, events and organizations.
Event Coordination & General Outreach
- Coordinate outreach & campaign events and engage HCHR-LC in statewide outreach work.
- Make follow up calls to new contacts and/or coordinate volunteer support for follow-up and turnout calls.
HCHR Coordinating Committee
- Participate in the meetings & support the work of HCHR-LC Committee & all Organizing Committees as necessary.
WORK SCHEDULE & SUPERVISION
- Flexible hours: This organizer must be able to work some nights and weekends as well as days. There are no set hours.
- Position is supervised by the Executive Director.
- Experience with transformative grassroots organizing, including one-on-one organizing, leadership development, event coordination, and willingness to talk to strangers
- Self-directed: able to work independently.
- Demonstrated writing skills.
- Aligned with the SMWC ’s political orientation, community agreements, and goals, as outlined in the SMWC Membership Agreements
- Comfortable working collectively (including group decision-making, collaborative writing, and meeting/event co-facilitation).
- Must have own car or access to car to travel as necessary
- Women, people of color, and working class and poor folks encouraged to apply.
- This is a salaried position paying the equivalent of $15/hour